District Nurses carry out many roles for housebound patients, including:
- General nursing procedures and investigations
- Post-surgery care
- Assessment of patients’ needs
- Care for terminally ill patients
- Loaning of equipment
- Looking after wounds and leg ulcers
- Educating patients about self-care
Referrals can be made by a Doctor or nurse at the practice, patients themselves or by carers and family members.
Free Personal and Nursing Care
Free personal care is available for everyone aged 65 and over in Scotland who have been assessed by the local authority as needing it.
Free nursing care is available for people of any age who have been assessed as requiring nursing care services.